Wall Eyed Pike Pie
- 1 pound wall eyed pike fillets
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 pounds potatoes peeled, boiled
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 6 asparagus spears cooked, well pureed
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- 1 pound spinach washed well, and cut into 1" strips
- 1 lemon juiced
- Roughly-chopped parsley to garnish
- Paprika to garnish
Marinate fish in wine and milk for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, mash cooked potatoes with 1/4 cup butter, 1 egg, asparagus puree and salt and white pepper.
Preheat broiler. Cook spinach in large saucepan with remaining butter. Season with salt and pepper. Cover pan and cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring once. Drain spinach and place 1/2 in an ovenproof dish.
Heat frying pan and add pike with marinade. Season with salt and white pepper, bring to a boil, cover and poach for 8 minutes. Drain fish and place on bed of spinach. Drizzle with lemon juice and cover with remaining spinach, then 1/2 of potato.
Pipe remaining potato decoratively around edge of dish and broil for 6 minutes. Dust with parsley and paprika and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.