- 1 pound onions thickly sliced
- 2 pounds carrots cut 1/2" dice
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cross-cut venison saddle - (5 lbs) cut 2" cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Clarified butter as needed
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly plus
- 2 teaspoons red currant jelly
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- Finely-chopped parsley
Combine onions, carrots, bay leaves and vinegar in saucepan. Boil and pour over meat. Let marinate overnight. Drain and dry meat and vegetables.
Mix meat and vegetables with flour and season with salt and pepper. Heat some clarified butter in large saucepan. When hot, add venison and brown, then add onions and carrots and brown. Add bay leaves.
Heat tomato puree in separate small saucepan until brown. Add puree to meat and vegetables. To this, add most of the red wine and 2 tablespoons red currant jelly. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
Transfer meat and vegetables to heated serving dish. Mix arrowroot with remaining red wine and add to boiling gravy to thicken. Add lemon juice. Nap meat and vegetables with gravy, garnish with lemon slices, cream and remaining jelly. Dust with parsley.
This recipe yields 6 servings.