Tasting Room Pie
- 1 pound veal shoulder cubed
- 1 pound pork shoulder cubed
- 1 medium onion cut large chunks
- 1 medium carrot cut large chunks
- 1 celery stalk cut large chunks
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups red wine
- 7 ounces butter cubed, chilled
- 3 cups pastry flour sifted
- 2 eggs
- 2 eggshells-full cold water
- Clarified butter as needed
- 1 garlic clove bruised
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 orange zested
- 1 lemon juiced
- Bouquet garni (1 bay leaf, 3" stalk celery, 1/2 tspn
- thyme, 6 peppercorns, parsley, tied up
- in a cheesecloth pouch or bound together with kitchen twine)
Mix together veal, pork, onion, carrot, celery, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour red wine over this, cover with plastic wrap and marinade in cool spot on countertop overnight, or refrigerate.
For pastry: In medium bowl, cut butter into flour, then add 1 egg and mix thoroughly. Add cold water and combine well. Set aside until needed. Beat second egg with a pinch of salt.
Strain marinade from meat and reserve. Set aside vegetables and dry meat thoroughly with towel. Heat large pan with clarified butter on high heat and brown meat pieces. Cover meat with vegetables and simmer over low heat, stirring constantly for a few minutes.
Heat clarified butter in another pan and add garlic, mushrooms, orange peel, and lemon juice. Add bouquet garni and simmer. Then add wine marinade.
Roll pastry to fit across top of casserole dish.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pour meat mixture into casserole and add mushrooms and wine, discarding peel, bouquet garni, and garlic clove. Cover with pastry and crimp edges to seal. Decorate with pastry leaves and poke a steam vent in center of crust. Brush pastry with beaten egg and bake for 90 minutes.
This recipe yields 6 servings.