Stuffed Onions In Tomato Sauce
- 4 large whole onions peeled
- Clarified butter to taste
- 1 garlic clove smashed
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes cored, quartered
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch sugar or to taste
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1/2 pound minced beef
- 4 ounces bacon slices cut thin pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely-cut parsley stalks
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 20 fresh oregano leaves, chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- Roughly-chopped fresh parsley to garnish
Place onions in boiling salted water to cover. Cook 10 minutes and drain. Cut a thin slice off top of each onion and carefully squeeze out inside ribs, leaving 2 larger, outer ribs intact. Finely chop inner ribs of 1 onion and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat enough clarified butter in saucepan to cover base. When hot, add garlic, tomatoes, salt, pepper and sugar. Add wine and boil gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
In another pan, heat some clarified butter and add onion innards and minced beef. Brown meat and reduce heat, add bacon and season with salt, pepper and allspice. Stir together and fry gently for 2 minutes. Transfer meat mixture to bowl, add eggs, parsley stalks, basil and oregano. Spoon this mixture into reserved large onion ribs. Place onions in ovenproof dish.
Strain tomato sauce and pour around onion. Add bay leaf to sauce. Place in oven and cook 20 minutes. Place baked onions on serving platter and quickly reduce sauce. Strain over onions and garnish with chopped parsley leaves.
This recipe yields 4 servings.