- 1 rabbit - (abt 3 1/2 lbs)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon powdered cloves
- Clarified butter as needed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cups spring onions in 1/2" pieces
- 1 green pepper cubed
- 1 small celery heart finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped parsley plus more
- roughly chopped for garnish
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons water
Place rabbit in bowl with enough water to cover. Add vinegar, salt and 1/2 teaspoon powdered cloves. Marinate for 2 hours. Drain and dry rabbit thoroughly. Cut rabbit into 6 pieces (2 haunches, 2 shoulders and saddle cut in 2).
Heat enough butter in large skillet to coat bottom, then add olive oil. Add garlic and fry. Add rabbit pieces and brown. Season with salt and pepper.
Add spring onions, green pepper and celery, stirring to combine all ingredients. Stir in parsley, remaining cloves, basil and bay leaf. Mix together tomato paste, wine and sherry. Add to pan and stir well. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let simmer for 1 1/4 hours. When done, remove bay leaf and season again. Place in decorative casserole to serve.
Cook carrots with sugar, butter and water until caramelized and add to casserole. Garnish with remaining parsley.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (702 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Spice-Rubbed Chicken with Duck... 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Roasted Veal Chops with Grapes 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Veal Chops Saltimboca with Tomato... 5/5 (4 Votes)