Fagioli Al Uccelletto "Tuscan Baked Beans"
- 1 pkg (16 oz) Food You Feel Good About Organic Dry Great Northern Beans
- 9 cups water
- 24 leaves Food You Feel Good About Sage, divided
- 2 sprigs Food You Feel Good About Fresh Rosemary, divided
- 1/2 cup Italian Classics Toscano Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pkgs (7 oz each) Food You Feel Good About Chopped Onions
- 4 cloves Food You Feel Good About Peeled Garlic, finely diced
- 8 plum tomatoes (about 2 lbs), chopped
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup Wegmans Basting Oil
- 2 cups Wegmans Panko Bread Crumbs
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 630mins
Adapted from wegmans.com
1.Early in the day or day before: Place sorted, rinsed beans in large stockpot. Cover with water to 2 inches above bean level. Cover, tilting to vent; soak 8 hours to overnight.
2.Day you're cooking: Drain beans, discarding soaking water. Add beans and 9 cups fresh water to medium stockpot. Heat on HIGH uncovered, until boiling. Skim as much foam as possible from surface. Add 4 sage leaves and 1 sprig of rosemary; reduce heat to MEDIUM. Cover, tilting to vent steam. Cook 1 hour; do not stir.
3.Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in braising pan on MEDIUM. Add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 min, until tender. Chop remaining 20 sage leaves and sprig of rosemary; add to onion mixture in braising pan. Cook 1 min.
4.Add tomatoes and salt and pepper. Simmer 10 min, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
5.Check beans for tenderness; they should be completely tender. If they are not, cover completely; cook additional 15 min or as needed.
6.Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add beans and liquid to onion mixture in braising pan; stir to combine. Drizzle with remaining olive oil. Bake 60 min. Beans will be done when liquid has reduced, becoming syrupy and bubbly. Carefully remove from oven; season to taste with salt and pepper.
7.Mix basting oil and panko in small bowl. Place mixture over baked beans and return to oven; bake 20-30 min until topping is brown and crisp.
Substitute 4 cans of Organic Food You Feel Good About Great Northern Beans, undrained. Begin recipe at step 3 and eliminate step 5.