Chicken and White Bean Soup
- 2 smoked bacon slices chopped
- 12 ounces skinsless boneless chicken cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup chopped plum tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black peper
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups fat free lower sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 ( 15 oz.) can organic white beans rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon wite wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat 7 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan, set aside bacon.
Add chicken to drippings in pan saute 6 minutes. Remove chicken from pan. Add onion and garlic to pan, cook 4 minutes or until tender. Add tomato, oregano, and pepper, cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return bacon and chicken to pan. Stir in 2 cups water and broth scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil Add orzo and cook for 9 minutes or until al dente. add beans, cook 2 minutes or until heated. Remove from heat, stir in parsley, vinegar and salt.