Best-Ever Chocolate Cake
Stand: 30 minutes Prep: 30 minutes Bake: 30 minutes
- 3/4 c. butter 3 eggs
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla 1 1/2 c. milk
1. Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Lightly grease bottoms of three 8 x 1 1/2 inch round cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with waxed paper. Grease and lightly flour waxed paper and sides of pans. Set pans aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350"' In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3.ln a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4. cup at a time, beating on medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes or until well mixed. Scrape side of bowl; continue beating on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition (about I minute total). Beat in vanilla.
4. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to beaten mixture, beating on low speed just until combined after each addition. Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more. Spread evenly into prepared pans.
5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Peel off waxed paper. Cool completely on wire racks.
6. Prepare Chocolate Frosting; fill and frost cake layers If desired, top with chocolate curls and candied nuts. Store cake in the refrigerator. Makes 12 to 16 servings .
. Chocolate Frosting: In a large saucepan, combine one 12•ounce package (2 cups) semisweet chocolate pieces and 1/2 cup butter; heat over low heat until melted, stiring often. Cool for 5 minutes. Stir in one 8-ounce carton dairy sour cream. Gradually add 4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar (about 1 pound), beating on medium speed until mixture is smooth.