Vegan Whole-Grain Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze
This recipe is vegan-friendly, and uses almond milk, ground flax seed, whole grain spelt flour, and walnuts. Dessert was never so healthy!
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 1 1/2 cups carrot, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/3 cup light extra virgin olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked for 10 minutes & drained
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from ohsheglows.com
Preheat oven to 350°F and line a small loaf pan (20cm x11cm x 6cm) with parchment. Lightly grease the parchment and sides of pan with oil and set aside. Note that the original recipe used an 8”x8” square pan so that would also work.
In a medium bowl, mix together the grated carrot, ground flax, pure maple syrup, almond milk, oil, vanilla, vinegar, and lemon zest. Set aside for at least two minutes while you gather the dry ingredients.
In another large sized bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder & soda, and salt. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined (a few dry spots may remain). Fold in the raisins and chopped walnuts. Be careful not to over-mix as spelt is a very delicate flour.
Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, and then transfer the loaf to a wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle on lemon glaze just before serving. Serves eight 1-inch slices. May be frozen.
Whisk together confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until a glaze consistency is reached.
You'll also love
- Tuna Pizza 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Red Cabbage Salad with Cranberries 4.9/5 (7 Votes)
- Spring Salad with Ginger Peach Tea... 4.9/5 (7 Votes)
- Sweet Braided Czech Bread with... 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Breaded Eggplant Stacks 4.9/5 (7 Votes)
- Raisin-Orange Scones 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Famous Amish Funnel Cakes 4.2/5 (53 Votes)
- British Flapjacks 4.9/5 (9 Votes)