Curtido (Pickled Cabbage, Onions, and Carrots)
Curtido is a must when serving Pupusas, Crispy Fried Yuca and Pork, or Empanadas. The sour-pickled flavor of the cabbage, onions, and carrots is a perfect complement to savory foods.
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 4 cups white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes or 1 Serrano pepper, finely chopped (optional)
Adapted from hispanickitchen.com
Using a large ceramic bowl or glass jar with a lid, combine and stir all the ingredients. Cover tightly with lid or plastic cling wrap; marinate overnight before serving. The Curtido can last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.