divine devil's food cupcakes
ACTIVE: 20 MIN TOTAL: 1'12 HR
Tip: Can be refrigerated airtight up to 2 days, or frozen up
to 1 month.
- 2 cups cake flour (not self-rising) % cup unsweetened cocoa powder 1% tsp baking soda
- 1 f4 tsp salt
- 112 cup buttermilk (or stir
- 2 Tbsp water into 6 Tbsp plain yogurt)
- 113 cup water
- 11/2 sticks (% cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 % cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1112 tsp vanilla extract
- 7112 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 f2 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened ~arnish: chocolate sprinkles
• Position rack in middle of oven. Heat to 350°F. Line 12 (or 24, if you have) muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Batter: Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk (or yogurt mixture) and water in a small bowl. In another large bowl, beat butter with mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy. Add sugar and beat
3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add cocoa mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture in 3 batches, beating just until well blended. Spoon into lined cups, filling each 213 full.
Bake 20 to 22 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in centers of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool in pants) on a wire rack 5 minutes before removing from pants) to rack to cool
-cornpletely. If baking only 12 at a time: I repeat with remaining batter.
rosting: Heat chocolate and cream in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Add butter; whisk until melted and blended. Transfer to a bowl; cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate 15 minutes.
Beat with mixer on medium-high speed about 3 minutes, until thick enough to spread.
To assemble: Swirl a heaping Tbsp frosting on each cupcake; dip in or scatter on sprinkles. Refrigerate 30 minutes, or until frosting sets.