Berry-Fig Cream Parfaits
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or seeds from 1/3 of a vanilla bean
- 1 1/4 cups cold heavy/whipping cream
- Half-pint of blueberries
- Half-pint of raspberries
- 5 shortbread biscuits or meringue cookies, crumbled
- 2 ripe figs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Adapted from yankeemagazine.com
Combine 1/2 cup sugar, the cornstarch, and the salt in a heavy saucepan; whisk in yolks and milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Boil 1 minute, or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Let sit five minutes to cool. Meanwhile, whip the cream with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar until soft peaks form. Set aside.
Divide the custard among six 8-ounce jelly jars or clear glasses (about 1/3 cup per jar). Sprinkle with blueberries, raspberries, and equal portions of the crushed cookies.