- 2 slices bacon sliced thinly
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 sheeps kidneys cut 1/4" slices, core removed
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 leg of lamb - (abt 3 1/2 lbs) boned, and with shank
- Flour to dust
- Clarified butter to brush
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup cider
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place bacon into a dry pan. Heat to render fat and fry bacon. Add onion and kidney. Season with cayenne, salt, and black pepper. Saute another 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add bread crumbs, rosemary, and egg.
Place stuffing in lamb, packing tightly. Tie up like a parcel. Tuck the edges of the meat underneath the string. Dust the outside of the meat with flour. Season with salt and pepper and brush with butter. Place on a rack in a baking dish. Cook for 1 hour, 10 minutes.
Mix together honey, mustard, Worcestershire sauce. At 1 hour, 10 minutes, baste the meat with the honey mixture. Add 1/2 cup of the cider to the roasting pan to prevent honey mixture from burning. Cook 1/2 hour more, basting from time to time.
Remove the meat, cut off string, and place meat on warmed serving dish. Pour excess fat from baking pan. Deglaze pan with 1/2 cup cider, bring to boil. Strain.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (702 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Spice-Rubbed Chicken with Duck... 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Roasted Veal Chops with Grapes 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Veal Chops Saltimboca with Tomato... 5/5 (4 Votes)