BACON AND CHIVE POTATO PIE
- for the pastry
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3-6 tablespoons ice cold water
- for the pie
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 7 thick sliced bacon, chopped
- 5 large waxy potatoes (such as red or yukon gold), peeled and sliced thin
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh chive, finely minced
Prepare your crust: In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Cut in the butter and shortening, blending until the mixture resembles coarse sand (with some larger pieces of butter). Add in three tablespoons of the ice water, using a fork to mix the dough together. Add more water, one tablespoon at a time, just until the dough comes together in a slightly crumbly ball. Turn the dough out to a lightly floured surface. Use your hands to shape the dough into a flattened disc. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours (up to 24 hours).
Preheat your oven to 400F. On a lightly floured counter, roll out your pie dough to 1/4 inch thick. Spray a 9-inch tart pan with baking spray and then line with the rolled out dough, removing any excess and making a pretty rim. Refrigerate the crust until ready to fill.
Place the butter and bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté until the bacon is crispy then toss in the onions, followed by the potatoes and parsley. Season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper. Gently stir 3-5 minutes, to mix the onions and potatoes and coat in fat. The potatoes do not need to be cooked through. Then spoon the mixture into the crust and drizzle with heavy cream.
Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender and the crust is golden. Rest for 15 minutes, then sprinkle with chopped chives and cut. Can be eaten hot or at room temperature.
You'll also love
- Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp Scampi Linguine 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Mushroom Mac ‘n’ Cheese 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Caramelized Onion and Apple Tart 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Orange-Scented Rack of Lamb 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Smoked Pork Ribs 0/5 (0 Votes)
- BAKED MASHED POTATO CASSEROLE 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pork Chops 0/5 (0 Votes)