Sesame Nut Crunch
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed -- firmly
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 3/4 teaspoons cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups peanuts, dry-roasted -- (3/4
- 2 1/2 cups cashews, dry-roasted -- (3/4
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, roasted -- (2 1/2
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
1. Butter a sheet of foil, about 12 by 17 inches.
2. In a nonstick 5 to 6 quart pan over medium heat, frequently stir 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, cayenne, and salt until melted and smooth, about 5 min.
3. Add the nuts and seeds. Turn heat to high and stir until mixture is very thick and nuts begin to brown, 4 to 6 min.
4. Immediately pour mixture onto buttered foil, spreading as thinly as possible with back of a spoon. Cool until mixture is is lukewarm, about 15 min.
5. With your hands, release brittle from foil, then pull or break it into bite-size pieces. When cool, immediately store in an airtight container (sugar absorbs moisture and will become sticky).