Poblano, Garlic and Roasted Pepper Tartlets
- For the Crust:
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- For the Filling:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 poblano pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 head garlic
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Adapted from hispanickitchen.com
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. To make the crust: In the bowl of a food processor place the chili powder, masa, flour, butter and salt. Pulse until the butter is in pea-size pieces. Then add the egg and water, pulsing until the dough starts to form large clumps. Remove the dough from the food processor and form into a ball. Press the dough into 6 (4-inch) tarts pans with a removable bottom. When you press the dough in bring the dough up ½ inch from the edge of the tart pan. This is so the dough doesn't sink into the pan. Refrigerate the dough until firm. When the dough is firm, pierce the base of the dough with a fork. Bake the tart crusts for 10 minutes.
3. To make the filling: In a skillet over medium heat place the olive oil and onion. Sauté the onions until just starting to brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
4. Place the bell peppers and poblano chile on a baking sheet under the broiler in the oven until completely black and charred. Then place them in a bowl covered with plastic wrap to allow them to steam. After all of the peppers have steamed for 5 minutes, peel, seed, and slice.
5. For the garlic: Cut the end off so that all of the cloves are exposed. Place in a garlic baker and roast in a 400-degree oven for 25 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.
6. Squeeze all of the roasted garlic cloves into the blender with the cream, eggs, salt, and pepper. Puree until smooth.
7. To assemble the tarts: Evenly distribute the sautéed onions on the par baked shells. Top the onions with all of the roasted peppers, chili, and cilantro. Then top with the roasted garlic mixture from the blender. Place the tarts in oven for 25 minutes. Remove the tarts from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into quarters.