Old Fashioned Vanilla Ice Cream
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1/3 c sugar
- 4 c milk
- 2 c half-and-half
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 1/2 T vanilla extract
- 3 c whipping cream
1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, 25 to 30 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats a spoon; chill.*(See Note below)
2. Stir in half-and-half and remaining ingredients; pour into freezer container of a 5-quart hand-turned or electric freezer.
3. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
4. Serve immediately, or spoon into an airtight container and freeze until firm.