- 2 packages yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cups scalded, cooled milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup melted margarine
- Cinnamon sugar (for topping)
1. In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, next six ingredients and 2 cups of the flour.
2. Blend for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl constantly.
3. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
4. Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
5. Turn dough onto a well-floured board. Roll dough around to coat with flour. (Dough will be soft.)
6. Cut with floured doughnut cutter or cans.
7. Lift carefully with spatula and place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet.
8. Brush with melted margarine. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 20 minutes).
9. Bake 8 to 10 minutes at 425 degrees F or until golden.
10. Immediately brush with melted margarine and shake in cinnamon sugar.