Stir Fried Shrimp with Bacon, Mint and Chiles
For this singular stir-fry, chef Jerry Traunfeld combines sweet shrimp with salty bacon, then adds hot chiles, vermouth and a healthy dose of fresh mint. Serve with a side of pasta or rice.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 pound thickly sliced bacon, cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 Thai bird chiles, or 4 serrano chiles
- 1 1/2 pounds shelled and deveined large shrimp
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup vermouth, or dry white wine
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped mint
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil.
Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the fat has been rendered.
Spoon off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the skillet. Stir in the garlic and whole chiles and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until they are pink and curled, about 3 minutes. Add the vermouth and cook until nearly evaporated, about 1 minute. Stir in the mint, transfer to plates and serve.
You'll also love
- Cranberry Pretzel Salad 4.5/5 (38 Votes)
- Pumpkin nut bread 4.6/5 (34 Votes)
- Perfect Pot Roast 4.6/5 (34 Votes)
- Easy Pressure Cooker Pot Roast 4.7/5 (30 Votes)
- Shrimp 4.7/5 (27 Votes)
- Scalloped Sweet Pototoes 4.7/5 (27 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast... 4.7/5 (27 Votes)
- Roasted Bourbon-Glazed Chicken... 4.7/5 (28 Votes)