Crawfish Egg Rolls with Hot Sesame Drizzle
- RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup Hot Sesame Drizzle (see recipe)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced onions
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup, finely shredded napa or white cabbage
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrots
- 1/2 pound (1 cup) peeled crawfish tails
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons untoasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt, and 6 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Creole Seasoning (see recipe)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten in 2 separate bowls (2 eggs per bowl)
- 8 egg roll skins
- 6 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup dry mustard, combined with 1/4 cup water
Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions, celery, and cabbage and saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and carrots and saute, stirring and shaking the skillet, for 1 minute. Add the crawfish tails and saute, shaking the skillet, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into a bowl.
To the crawfish mixture, add the sesame oil, sesame seeds, salt, pepper, Creole Seasoning, and 2 of the eggs.
Lay the egg roll skins on a flat surface and brush them with some of the remaining egg. Place one-eighth of the filling on one end of each skin, leaving a 1/4-inch border at the top and sides, and roll up, tucking in the ends after the first roll.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan or wok over high heat. When the oil is very hot, about 375 degrees F., fry the egg rolls until they're crisp and golden brown, for about 2 minutes. Drain thoroughly on paper towels.
While the egg rolls are frying, reheat the Hot Sesame Drizzle over low heat, stirring once or twice.
TO SERVE: Paint each of 8 dishes with a zigzag of mustard. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the Hot Sesame Drizzle over the mustard, and top with an egg roll.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Harper Collins. All rights reserved.
Date Added: 01/01/2008