Loaded Baked Potato Soup
This rich and creamy soup has everything you'd find in a loaded baked potato and more, bacon, cheese, onions, sour cream and carrots. Yummy!
- 1 pound bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 4 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 medium red potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Optional garnishes: chopped chives, bacon bits, sour cream, shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese
In a 6- to 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving half for garnish. In bacon fat, cook onions, carrots, and celery until the onions are translucent. Add potatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Whisk in flour and stir constantly over low heat until the flour is cooked and the mixture has thickened slightly, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add chicken stock and half of the bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Mash some of the potatoes for thicker, creamier texture. Add whipping cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
Adjust thickness by adding water or stock. Soup should have a creamy consistency. Season to taste, and garnish with toppings.
Cooks’ notes: Soak diced potatoes in cold water until ready to use to keep them from turning brown. To make bacon easier to chop, lightly freeze.