Both orange sweet potatoes (such as Garnet and Jewel varieties) and white sweet potatoes work well in this dish, but the vibrant orange ones bring a splash of color to the table.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-in.-thick slices
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Adapted from find.myrecipes.com
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Butter a 9- by 13-in. baking dish with 1 tbsp. butter. Arrange a third of the sweet potatoes, overlapping slightly, in the dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat with two more layers of sweet potatoes and cheese.
2. In a small bowl, combine cream, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Pour over potatoes. Dot with the remaining 2 tbsp. butter. Cover dish with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until sweet potatoes are tender and top is browned, 20 to 25 minutes.