Beth's Best Salsa
•I have used one large can chipotle salsa in place of the three small cans of chipotle chilies.
•El Pato would be a tasty replacement for the tomato sauce.
Yield: 19+ pints
- 24 cups chopped tomatoes (roma are best)
- 7 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 4 1/2 cups chopped mild peppers
- 3 cups deseeded jalapenos
- 3 cans chipotle chilies, optional
- 3-8 teaspoons cumin
- 18 cloves minced garlic
- 6 tablespoons canning salt
- 1 cup lemon or lime juice from concentrate
- 3- 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 3- 12 ounce tomato paste
- 3 limes juiced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Chop all veggies in a food processor to desired consistency.
*Jalapeños, chipotle chilies, and cumin control the heat. Options include:1- leave in Jalapeno seeds for a hotter salsa, leave out chipotle chilies to cool, and/or start with 3 teaspoons of cumin increasing according to taste. *
In a large pot mix everything except fresh lime juice and cilantro. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and season accordingly, remove from heat and stir in line and cilantro. Fill pint jars with the hot mix. Process in water bath for 15 minutes.