Sea Finley’s Dove Etoufee at Cheyenne Signature Lodge
- 3 sticks unsalted butter
- 6-8 tablespoons all-purpose flour (use what you need to make a roux)
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1.5 cups chopped celery
- 1.5 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoons Crystal Hot Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups seafood or shrimp stock
- 3-4 boneless dove breasts per guest
- 1/2 lemon to squeeze
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
- Season the dove breast with your favorite Cajun seasoning and sear on both sides in a sauté pan with olive oil and butter. Set aside to cool. When cool, dice all of the breast meat into 1/2 inch cubes and hold.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, to make a medium roux. Should start to smell like peanut butter.
- Add the onions, celery, bell peppers, green onions, garlic, bay leaves, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the Crystal Hot Sauce, paprika and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the stock and diced dove breast and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened. Squeeze the 1/2 lemon into the pot, discard.
- Stir in the parsley and remove from the heat.
- Adjust the seasoning, to taste. Serve over white rice, garnished with additional parsley.