1930's Depression Soup
Creamy soup that has many veggies making it an inexpensive meal - with leftovers! This soup goes great with fresh bread; also good for freezing.
- 12 cups water
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups of sliced potatoes
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups of sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups of sliced celery
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups of frozen peas
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 pkg (13 oz) summer sausage or ring balogna, sliced and halved (we also like to use polish sausage)
- salt and pepper to taste
- milk and flour to thinken (mix 1/2 cup milk and 5 spoonfuls of flour to start, may need more)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 105mins
Add veggies and meat to the water and bring to a boil then turn down the heat just enough to keep a steady boil. When veggies start to get tender (could take almost an hour), season with S&P and slowly add the milk/flour mixture to thicken - it will take some time for the soup to actually thicken up.