Baked Cheese Crepes
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter - (about)
- 8 ounces fontina cheese cut into 1/2" cubes
- 8 ounces fresh water-packed mozzarella drained, and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1/4 cup thinly-sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup Marinara Sauce (see recipe)
- 1/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan
Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Heat a 6-inch nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Brush the skillet with some butter. Working quickly, pour 3 tablespoons of the egg mixture into the pan, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan evenly. Cover and cook until the egg crepe is just set, about 1 minute. Invert the skillet over a plate, and allow the egg crepe to drop onto the plate. Repeat to make 10 crepes total, brushing the skillet with melted butter as needed and stacking crepes on the plate.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Butter a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish. Arrange 1 egg crepe on a work surface. Place some of the fontina and mozzarella cheese in the center of the egg crepe, then sprinkle with some basil. Roll up the crepe. Place the filled crepe in the prepared baking dish, seam-side down. Repeat with the remaining egg crepes, cheese, and basil. Spoon the Marinara Sauce over the crepes. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and dot with 2 tablespoons of butter. Bake until the cheese melts and the top is golden, about 15 minutes.
This recipe yields 5 to 10 servings.