Tomato Soup With Pancetta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 slices rustic rye bread, 3/4" thick cubed (each slice abt 5 3/4" by 3 3/4")
- 6 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juices - (28 oz)
- 1/4 cup coarsely-chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the bread and toss to coat with the pan drippings. Saute until the bread is crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper.
Stir the mascarpone and sour cream in a small bowl to blend. Ladle the soup into bowls. Spoon a dollop of the mascarpone mixture atop the soup and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.