Shrimp Fra Diavolo
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled, deveined
- 1 teaspoon salt plus
- additional as needed
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus
- 1 teapoon olive oil - (to 2)
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes - (14 1/2 oz)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
Toss the shrimp in a medium bowl with 1 teaspoon of salt and red pepper flakes. Heat the 3 tablespoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and saute for about a minute, toss, and continue cooking until just cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a large plate; set aside.
Add the onion to the same skillet, adding 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the pan, if necessary, and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices, wine, garlic, and oregano. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
Return the shrimp and any accumulated juices to the tomato mixture; toss to coat, and cook for about a minute so the flavors meld together. Stir in the parsley and basil. Season with more salt, to taste, and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.