Giada's Italian Wedding Soup
Beautiful, simple, delicious. Only thing I did was add a few red pepper flakes to the meatballs. Other than that, followed exactly. Comfort out the WAZOOO!!!
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 slice fresh white bread, crust trimmed, bread torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound curly endive, coarsely chopped (1 pound of escarole would be a good substitution)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan, freshly grated plus extra for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
To make the meatballs: Stir onion, parsley, egg, garlic, salt and bread in a large bowl to blend. Stir in the cheese, beef and pork.
Using 1 1/2 teaspoons for each, shape the meat mixture into 1-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a baking sheet.
To make the soup: Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Add the meatballs and curly endive and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the curly endive is tender, about 8 minutes.
Whisk the eggs and cheese in a medium bowl to blend. Stir the soup in a circular motion. Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin stands of egg, about 1 minute. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve. Finish soup with parmesan cheese if desired.