Beer-Simmered Bratwurst with Onions & Sauerkraut
Grilled bratwursts that were 1st simmered in beer are served on a lightly charred bun with onions, sauerkraut and you favorite mustard. Game day here we come!
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large head red cabbage, cored and thinly shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 pounds precooked bratwurst, pricked with a fork
- 6 (12-ounce) bottles dark beer
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- Hot dog buns, hoagie buns, or bratwurst buns
- Various mustards (I like spicy brown, sweet-hot, and coarse-grain)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 40mins
Combine the vinegar, water, and sugar in a large saucepan (not aluminum or cast-iron), bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the sugar has dissolved.
Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until the cabbage is soft, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (The sauerkraut can be made up to 2 days in advance, cooled, covered, and kept refrigerated. Bring to room temperature and drain before serving.)
Meanwhile, arrange the onion slices on the bottom of a medium stockpot. Place the bratwurst on top and add the beer, water, coriander, caraway, mustard seeds, and ginger. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside for at least 10 minutes and up to 1 hour.
When ready to serve, heat your grill to high.
Lift the sausages out of the pot. Remove the onions with a slotted spoon and place in a serving bowl. Discard the remaining liquid and aromatics.
Grill the sausages until crisp and golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes total. If you like, grill the buns until lightly toasted. Serve the bratwurst on the buns with sauerkraut, onions, and mustard.
You'll also love
- Yoshinoya Beef Bowl 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Melt-in-Your-Mouth Broiled Salmon 4.2/5 (27 Votes)
- Skillet Cornbread 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- Hershey's Kisses's Acorn Treats 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- Pioneer Woman Pan Fried Pork Chops 4/5 (72 Votes)
- Chinese Slaw 4.5/5 (33 Votes)
- Apple Nachos 4.3/5 (37 Votes)
- Blooming Onions: Bite-Sized 4.6/5 (18 Votes)