Homemade Marinara sauce
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups small diced carrots
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 gallon canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 6 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced or minced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh thyme, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano minced
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat to the verge of smoking.
2. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook until the onions have softened, stirring.
3. Deglaze the pan with wine, stirring and scrapping the bottom of the pan.
4. Add the canned and fresh tomatoes and the garlic, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Next, add the basil, thyme, oregano, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste
6. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for another 20-25 minutes
7. Pulse with a hand-held immersion blender until semi-smooth, stirring throughout the process.