Mock Angel Food Cake with Peach Raspberry Lavender Jam
Great cake! Moist, easy, and only uses 3 egg whites!
- Mock Angel Food Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar or splenda or combo of both
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup milk, heated
- 3 large eggs, room temp
- Peach-Raspberry-Lavender Jam:
- 2 teaspoons dried culinary lavender buds
- 1 pound (about 5) ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 3 ounces (1/2 pint) red raspberries, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Adapted from savouringablessedlife.blogspot.com
Mock Angel Food Cake:
Measure first 4 ingredients into sifter and sift four times.
This lets the flours get lots of air in them for a lighter fluffier cake.
In saucepan, heat the milk just to the boiling point then remove from heat.
Stir into the flour mixture until smooth.
In separate bowl, beat the egg whites until still.
Fold, do NOT stir, into the batter until no streaks remain.
Turn into a greased and lightly floured angel food pan.
Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Invert pan and let cool before removing.
This cake will not rise as high as a standard angel food cake, but it is still light and airy.
Put lavender buds in a small bowl.
Pour 1/4 cup boiling water over the buds and let steep 10 minutes. Strain the scented water into a bowl and set aside; discard buds.
In a 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, combine peaches, raspberries, sugar, and lemon juice.
Bring to a boil and cook, stirring often, until liquid has the consistency of thick maple syrup, about 14 minutes.
Stir in the lavender water and boil, stirring often, another 2 minutes, or until mixture reaches desired thickness.
Remove jam from heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
Chill, covered, at least 2 hours before using.
Jam keeps, chilled, up to 4 weeks.
You'll also love
- Salted Caramel Popcorn 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Sliced Baked Potatoes 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Festive Apple-Cranberry Salad 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Peach-Buttermilk Ice Pops 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Strawberry BBQ Chicken Club... 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Peach-Mustard Pork Chops 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Gluten-Free Raspberry-Ginger... 4.6/5 (11 Votes)