Strawberry Sparkle Cake
This basic cake recipe is delicious and the strawberry filling with whipped cream frosting makes it a fresh and delightful summer dessert.
- 15 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 pound package frozen strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Whole strawberries, for decorating
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 140mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Make the cake:
Beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until stiff. Sift the superfine sugar three times and add slowly to the egg whites.
Sift the cake flour and salt five times, and then fold slowly into the egg whites. Sprinkle in the vanilla and fold.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes in an unbuttered angel food cake pan. After the cake rises and begins to brown, cover with buttered paper. Remove the paper in the last 5 to 10 minutes.
Set aside to cool completely, inverted on a bottle or jar that fits the cake pan.
Make the filling:
Dissolve the gelatin in boiling water and add the strawberries, stirring to break up and mix the berries.
Make the icing:
Whip the cream with the powdered sugar until thick.
Assemble the cake:
Place the cake, wide-side down, on a serving plate. Cut a 1-inch layer from the top and set it aside. Cut around the cake 1 inch from the outer edge to 1 inch from the bottom. Cut around the cake 1 inch from the inner edge to 1 inch from the bottom.
Gently remove the section of cake between the cuts and pour in the strawberry mixture.
Place the top cake layer back on top and spread the icing all over the top and sides of the cake. Decorate with whole strawberries.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving so the filling firms up.
You'll have left over cake. Serve it at another dessert with just some berries and cream on top.
You'll also love
- Pork Chops & Rice in an Instant... 3.7/5 (295 Votes)
- Chevy's Sweet Corn Tomalito 3.7/5 (295 Votes)
- Bacon And Cheddar Mashed Potatoes 4.5/5 (59 Votes)
- Raspberry Oatmeal Squares 4.5/5 (66 Votes)
- Avocado, Mozzarella and Tomato... 4.2/5 (93 Votes)
- Lemon Blueberry Bread 4.6/5 (52 Votes)
- Strawberry Sorbet PRINT 4.6/5 (52 Votes)