Almond Citrus Olive Oil Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds toasted, and coarsely crumbled
- Powdered sugar for sifting
- CITRUS COMPOTE:
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 3/4 teaspoon orange blossom water (optional)
- 3 oranges segmented
- 2 pink grapefruits segmented
To make the Cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil an 8-inch-diameter cake pan.
Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, eggs, and zests in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Beat in the milk. Gradually beat in the oil. Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in the almonds.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Place cake pan on baking pan to collect any possible spills. Bake until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 35 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool for 15 minutes. Remove cake and place on serving platter, top-side up. Sift powdered sugar over the cake.
To make the Citrus Compote: Stir the orange peel, blossom water, and 2 tablespoons of accumulated juices from the segmented fruit in a small bowl to blend. Arrange the orange and grapefruit segments decoratively in a wide shallow bowl. Pour the blossom water mixture over. Cover and let stand 15 minutes for the flavors to blend.
Cut the cake into wedges and spoon the citrus compote alongside.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (487 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (287 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken 4.5/5 (230 Votes)
- Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing 4.5/5 (164 Votes)