King Ranch Chicken Casserole
Can make ahead & freeze or refrigerate day or two before. 6-8 servings.
Can freeze up tp 1 month. Thaw in fridge overnight & bake as directed.
- 2 T butter
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 c chopped roasted chicken
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t ground cumin
- 2 c crushed tortilla chips
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro
Melt butter in med skillet over med high heat. Add chopped onion & bell peppers; sauté 8 min until tender. Stir in chicken & next 5 ingredients. Cook stirring occasionally, 2 min.
Place 1 c crushed tortilla chips in 13x9 baking dish. Layer with 1/2 of chicken mixture & 1/2 (4oz) cheddar cheese. Repeat layers ending with cheese. Bake uncovered at 325 for 45 min until mixture is thoroughly heated. Garnish if desired.