- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled, and coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stalk coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot coarsely chopped
- 1 pound ground chuck beef
- 1 can crushed tomatoes - (28 oz)
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley chiffonaded
- 8 fresh basil leaves chiffonaded
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly-grated Pecorino Romano
In a 6-quart pot, add extra-virgin olive oil. When almost smoking, add the onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until the onions become very soft, about 8 minutes. Add the celery and carrot and saute for 5 minutes.
Raise heat to high and add the ground beef. Saute, stirring frequently and breaking up any large lumps and cook until meat is no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes, parsley and basil and cook over medium-low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1/2 hour.
Finish bolognese with Pecorino Romano. Check for seasoning. Serve hot.
This recipe yields 6 servings.