White Bean Chowder
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrot
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried
- 5 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 – 15 oz. cans white cannelli beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup milk or fat free half and half
- salt and white pepper to taste
In a dutch oven or large soup pot cook the bacon over medium high heat until browned and crisp. Remove from the pot and drain on a paper towel.
Pour out all but 1 tsp. bacon fat. Return pot to medium high heat and add the onions, celery, carrots, and red bell pepper. Saute until vegetables are softened – about 3 minutes.
Increase heat to high and add the sherry – scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook until almost all the sherry has evaporated – about 4 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium and sprinkle flour and thyme over the vegetables. Stir and cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
Add the chicken or vegetable stock, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan. Increase heat to high and bring soup to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer the soup for about 4 minutes. Add the beans and the milk or half and half.
Taste and adjust seasonings.
Garnish with additional minced vegetables or fresh thyme if desired.