Mounds Chocolate Bars
- 6 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/8 t. salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 14 oz. sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup whole unsalted almonds
- 16 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips (1 bag)
- 2 T. vegetable oil
1. Line an 8 x 8 straight edged pan with foil, overlapping the edges and lightly spray with cooking spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the milk, vanilla and salt. Mix in the powdered sugar (1 cup at a time) until you have a smooth mixture. Next add the coconut and mix until thoroughly coated and combined. Pour mixture into the prepared pan and press into an even layer using your hands or rubber spatula lightly coated with cooking spray.
3. If almonds are desired, place the almonds in single rows, about 8, leaving room in-between and press them slightly into the coconut mixture so they stick. Refrigerate for at least an hour until firm enough to cut into bars.
4. When the coconut mixture has set, lift out of the pan by the foil. Peel the foil off and place on a cutting board. Cut into strips in between the rows of almonds then cut into bars, every 2 almonds. Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.
5. Set a medium bowl over a small pot of simmering water and add chocolate chips to the bowl. Stir every so often until they have melted then add the oil. Stir until they are completely blended and the chocolate is thinned and shiny. Using a fork, dip each bar into the chocolate letting the excess drip off.
6. Place the dipped bars on a wax paper lined baking sheet. Dip all the bars and then let them sit until the chocolate firms and sets up. Store at room temperature or refrigerated.