Mini Turkey Meatballs
- 1 small onion grated
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground dark turkey meat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 26 ounces Simple Tomato Sauce (see recipe) (or store-bought marinara sauce)
Add the onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, parsley, Parmesan, Pecorino, salt and pepper to a large bowl and blend. Mix in the turkey. Shape the turkey mixture into 1 1/4-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a large plate or baking sheet.
Heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and saute until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat. Transfer the meatballs to a plate. Pour off any excess oil. Add the marinara sauce, about 3 cups. Return all the meatballs to the pan. Turn the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly and the flavors blend, 15 to 20 minutes. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Transfer the meatball mixture to a serving bowl. Serve with toothpicks.
This recipe yields 42 mini meatballs.