Crispy Pork Spring Rolls
Cooking Light September 2012
- 5 cups peanut oil
- 1 ounce bean thread noodles
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 stalk peeled fresh lemongrass, coarsely chopped
- 1 (3.5-ounce) package shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (such as Huy Fong chile paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 1/2 cups grated carrot (about 3 medium)
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 26 frozen square spring roll pastry wrappers, thawed
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 45mins
1. Place peanut oil in a large Dutch oven or deep fryer. Clip a candy/frying thermometer to the side of pot; heat oil to 385°.
2. Place noodles in a bowl, and pour enough boiling water over to cover by 1 inch. Let stand 20 minutes; drain well. Cut noodles with scissors into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
3. Combine shallots, garlic, and lemongrass in a food processor, and process until finely chopped. Add mushrooms; pulse until finely chopped. Add sesame oil and next 4 ingredients (through ginger); process until well combined. Combine noodles, mushroom mixture, carrot, and pork in a large bowl, stirring until well blended.
4. Working with 1 spring roll pastry at a time (cover the remaining wrappers with a damp towel so they don't dry out), place the wrapper on a smooth work surface in a diamond pattern, with a corner edge pointing up and another pointing down. Place about 2 tablespoons pork mixture in the middle of pastry. Brush top point of pastry with water. Fold sides of pastry over filling; roll up jelly-roll fashion, starting from bottom. Gently press seam to seal. Repeat procedure with remaining pastry and filling to form 26 rolls.
5. Working in batches, place 5 spring rolls in 385° oil; fry 7 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning as necessary. Make sure oil temperature does not drop below 375°. Remove rolls with a slotted spoon; drain on a rack over paper towels. Return oil to 385°. Repeat the procedure with remaining spring rolls and oil, making sure oil temperature does not drop below 375°. Serve immediately.