Mom's Mac and Cheese (lactose free)
All Cabot Cheese is lactose free. My kids love this!
- 1 lb. organic elbow noodles
- 8 Tbsp. organic butter
- 16 oz. Cabot Cheddar Cheese - Seriously Sharp
- 1/4 c. organic white all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 c. Unsweetened Almond milk
- 1 large organic egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. organic sweet butter
- 1 bunch organic asparagus, chopped
- 10 organic shiitake mushroom, diced
- 8 oz. diced ham steak
- Garlic powder
- Pinch of organic minced onions
- 1 cantaloupe, diced
- 1 mini watermelon, cubed
- 1 pint of blackberries
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
1.Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add elbow noodles. Cook until tender.
2.In a large pot, melt butter on low heat.
Add cheese and melt still on low heat. Continually stirring or the cheese will brown and burn.
3.In a measuring cup, add milk, flour, mustard and egg. Mix with a whisk until blended.
4.Add flour mixture to melted cheese. Mix throughly with whisk. Blend smooth, no lumps.
5.Drain elbows. Rinse with cool water.
6.Add noodles to cheese mixture in pot. Mix until combined. Cover and remove from heat.
7.In a separate frying pan, melt one tablespoon of butter. Add mushrooms, asparagus and ham. Season with pepper, garlic powder and onions. Sauté. Combine mixture with Mac 'n Cheese.
8.Serve with Cantaloupe, watermelon and blackberries.