Chicken Souvlaki Pitas with Tahini Sauce
Cooking Light March 2011
- 6 tablespoons plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons shredded cucumber
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini (roasted sesame seed paste)
- 5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- 4 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 16 (1/4-inch-thick) slices cucumber
- 16 (1/4-inch-thick) slices plum tomato
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 25mins
1. Combine yogurt, shredded cucumber, tahini, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and garlic in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Combine remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice, olive oil, and next 4 ingredients (through chicken) in a small bowl. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Thread chicken pieces evenly onto 4 (8-inch) skewers. Coat grill pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 10 minutes or until done, turning every 2 minutes. Remove chicken from skewers.
3. Divide chicken evenly among pita halves. Fill each pita half with 2 tablespoons lettuce, 1 tablespoon onion, 2 cucumber slices, 2 tomato slices, and 1 tablespoon sauce.