Green Chile Tamale Pie
Cooking Light March 2011
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces ground sirloin
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces tomatillos (about 8 small), chopped
- 1 cup frozen baby lima beans
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled queso fresco
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 lime wedges
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 100mins
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Combine the masa harina, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and ground red pepper, stirring well with a whisk. Add 1 cup boiling water to masa mixture, and stir until a soft dough forms. Cover until ready to use.
3. Heat a 9-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beef to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion, garlic, poblano chile, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently. Add tomatillos and lima beans to pan, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Add butter and baking powder to masa mixture, stirring until smooth. Dollop batter over filling, and spread into an even layer. Cover pan with foil; bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned around edges. Remove from oven; let stand 3 minutes. Sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco and cilantro; serve with lime wedges.