Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Chicken
Slow cooked tender chicken breasts flavored with an array of Asian-inspired flavors like ginger and soy, with green pepper and fresh pineapple.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- 1/4 onion, large dice
- 1/2 green bell pepper, large dice
Place diced chicken in a slow cooker.
In a mixing bowl combine, 1/2 cup chicken broth, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, soy sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, ginger, pepper and optional hot sauce. Whisk until well blended. Pour mixture over chicken in slow cooker, press chicken into sauce to cover.
Cover slow cooker with lid and cook chicken on low heat for 6 - 8 hours.
In a small mixing bowl, stir together 1/3 cup chicken broth and 1/3 cup cornstarch. Whisk until well blended then gently fold cornstarch mixture into chicken mixture (chicken will be very tender that's why I say "fold"). Fold in diced pineapple, onion and bell pepper. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook mixture on low for an additional 20 - 30 minutes until sauce thickens and fruit/veggies are slightly tender.
Serve warm with white or brown rice.