Sugary Birthday Buttercream Frosting
Yield: Enough for filling & frosting a 3-layer, 8″ round cake
- 1 cup (227 g/2 sticks/8 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 6 cups (750 g/1 lb + 10 oz) icing sugar (confectioners’)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) whipping cream (35%)
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) water
- a pinch of salt
1. Beat the butter and icing sugar in an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, for about 2 minutes.
2. Add the vanilla, water, whipping cream, and salt, and whip on med-high speed until fluffy and smooth–about 4 minutes. If consistency is too thick, add more water 1 teaspoon at a time, then whip again for 30 seconds or so.
*Best used right away, for ideal spreading consistency.