Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 3 cups cooked spaghetti squash (1 large)
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup water chestnut
- 1 tablespoon diced pimento (or sub diced roasted red peppers or sundried tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup grated low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs, well beaten)
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup panko, crumbs or 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Preheat oven to 350º.Coat an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out and discard seeds, place cut-side down on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. ( Or place cut side down on a microwave safe dish, poke holes in peel & nuke until tender ).
When squash is tender, scoop out the meat with a fork. (you may only need 1 half to get 3 cups, depending on the size of your squash).
Mix together the squash strands, bell pepper, onion, water chestnuts, pimiento, cheese, salt and pepper.
Stir in the egg substitute.
Combine the sour cream and milk & fold into squash mixture.
Pour into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with panko crumbs and paprika and bake for 30-35 minutes.