Spicy Spinach-Stuffed Mushrooms
- 24 ounces, weight White Mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
- 1/2 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- Salt And Black Pepper To Taste
- 8 ounces, weight Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup Grated Monterey Jack Or Farmer's Cheese
- 1 package (small) Chopped Spinach, Thawed
- 8 dashes Hot Sauce (I Used Choulula)
Wash and dry mushrooms. Pull the stems off the mushrooms, then chop the stems finely. Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and chopped mushrooms stems and saute for several minutes, or until soft and starting to turn golden. Add panko crumbs, salt, and pepper. Stir and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, add softened cream cheese, sour cream, grated cheeses, and the cooled mushroom/onion/panko mixture. Fold together to combine. Add spinach, a dash of salt, a little pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Fold together until combined.
Using a spoon, mound the mixture into the stemmed mushroom caps. Use the spoon to round the mixture on top. Place on a baking sheet or in a baking dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the mushrooms are cooked and the filling is hot. Serve immediately or at room temperature. Yummy!