Leftover Roast - Beef Barley Soup
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 8 cups beef broth (if you don't have enough, make up the rest with water)
- 2 cups chopped cooked boneless beef roast (or steak)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup frozen peas or peas
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
1. In a large saucepan, saute carrot, celery & onion in butter until translucent.
2. Add the broth, water, beef, tomatoes, tomato paste, barley, salt, pepper, basil and oregano; bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the peas and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.