Peach and Basil Shortcake
Cooking Light June 2012
- 4 cups sliced peeled peaches (about 3 pounds)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup small basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 9 ounces cake flour (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
Preparation time 29mins
Cooking time 180mins
1. To prepare topping, combine peaches, 1/3 cup sugar, basil, and juice in a bowl; let stand 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 400°.
3. To prepare shortcake, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, 7 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in buttermilk with a fork just until combined (do not overmix). Spoon the dough into a 9-inch round metal baking pan coated with cooking spray. Gently brush the dough with milk. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and almonds.
4. Bake at 400° for 23 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove shortcake from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
5. Cut shortcake into 12 wedges. Top each with 1/3 cup peach mixture and 1 tablespoon yogurt