Nonfat milk and a bit of sharp Cheddar combine to make a rich sauce without all the butter usually found in gratins.
- 4 cups1-inch cauliflower florets, (about 1/2 large head)
- 1 1/2 cupsnonfat milk, divided
- 1/4 teaspoonsalt
- 1/2 cupdry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- 3/4 cupsharp Cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/2 teaspoonextra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoonsall-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoonfresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoonDijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoonwhite pepper
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
1. Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
2. Bring cauliflower, 1 1/4 cups milk and salt to a boil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup cheese and oil in a small bowl. Whisk flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in another small bowl until smooth; stir the mixture into the pan and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup cheese, chives, mustard and pepper. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture. Broil until the top is crispy and beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.